The ECB has regulations covering
the minimum fielding distances for young players in all matches where a hard
ball is used.
young player in the Under 15 age group or younger shall be allowed to field
closer than 8 yards (7.3 metres) from the middle stump, except behind the wicket
on the off side, until the batsman has played at the ball.
• For players in the Under 13 age group and below the distance is 11 yards
• These minimum distances apply even if the player is wearing a helmet.
• Should a young player in these age groups come within the restricted distance
the umpire must stop the game immediately and instruct the fielder to move
• In addition any young player in the Under 16 to Under 18 age groups, who has
not reached the age of 18, must wear a helmet and, for boys, an abdominal
protector (box) when fielding within 6 yards (5.5 metres) of the bat, except
behind the wicket on the off side. Players should wear appropriate protective
equipment whenever they are fielding in a position where they feel at risk.
• These fielding regulations are applicable to all cricket in England and
Wales. Age groups are based on the age of the player at midnight on 31st August
in the year preceding the current season.